Basic prinziples of our brazillian assosiation "O pequeno Nazareno"
1. If a child has to live in the streets, its an instace of disregardence of human rights which can not be excused.
2. If a child has to live in the streets, it becomes a victim of the destructive influences of his psyche and personality.
3. The only thing that could help those chlidren living in the streets is a chance of getting a better life, away from there. Ambulant medical care, an output of clothes and meals, sport, games and other leisure activities, which are held in the streets, are inadequate and have to be subordered to the principle above.
4. The longer a child is faced with those destructive forces, the higher is the risk that there is no poit of return for them. Because of that they have to recieve our help as fast as possible.
5. Every child and youngster living in the streets has a right of going back to its family, or, if this is not pissible, to live away from there. So a basic right of every "streetchild" is not to have to live there.
6. An assosiation has to take care of a child until its able to be reintegrated in its family without any risk of going back into the streets. If this is not possible, the child has to have the opportunity of staying at an assosiation or a surrogate family until its able to get its life back in its own hands. So a limited time in the assosiation is absolutely out of the question.
7. During the time a child lives in an assosiation its neccessairy to rebuild the contact to its family, or if its possible to afford them social care. But if a child doesn´t want to go back to its family, this wish has to be respected.
8. The mothly costs that come up for an assosiation by helping those children schould be held by the brazilian government. We think so because its nearly for sure that a child that is living in the streets will either become a criminal or a social weak grownup, and the costs that will come up with its imprisonment or later social care will be much higher like the costs that will come up in one of the Nazareno-villages.
9. We think that the time has come where it is not acceptable to let children live in the streets of brazil.
10. We think that it IS possible to offer those children a better life, away from there. Because of that we want to present our position of fighting against this national tagedy to the brazilian community.